Friday, January 27, 2012

Before and After: Kitchen Table and Chairs

I wanted to share my thrift store finds and the little bit of work that went into sprucing them up. I had a few months to gather up furniture to fill my apartment and this is what I got on my search for deals.


The kitchen table was purchased at a salvation army for $14!  It is perfect because it is small and can be made larger when I have company over. I needed something to fit my narrow space. Nevermind that it is also a sweet retro table. How could I resist?


The legs were spotted with rust but all is needed was a little scrubbing with a green scrub pad that we all have under our kitchen sinks. I gave the bottom of the leafs a little paint that I had to clean it up.  The surface needed a bit of scrubbing too, but it was a piece of cake. Good as new.


 The chairs were a scavenge from my mother's that she got at a yard sale way back. I'm sure she got them for a few bucks.  She is a where I get my bargain shopping genes from.


I wanted to keep the wood, I wasn't ready to paint over them.  I did clean them up with a refinishing oil cleaner that takes out scruffs and scratches out nicely. It also leaves a nice new glean. I used it on a few of my other wood pieces too. Keep in mind it only works on wood that has an oil finish. WARNING: this is addicting and you will find yourself searching for more work to rejuvenate!

What the chairs did need, desperately, was new fabric.  I used the same fabric as my ottoman because I love it and couldn't get enough, plus is was rather affordable at the discount fabric store.  I paid $6.99 a yard.

The project was easy for any one to do. I don't have much experience with it, but new it was do able. I unscrewed the back rest and seat cushion and pulled out all the old stables and decorative nails.




I kept the foam because the condition was is good shape. To reupholster them, I laid them out of my fabric, making sure the pattern lined up (very important) and gave them about 3 inches of slack all around.


I used a staple gun the tightly, but not too tight or your get pulling, secure the fabric all around. I used the technique that I learned in a painting class to stretch a canvas for painting.


Start in the middle of one side. Punch in a couple staples then move directly across to the opposite side and do the same. Then move to the next side, punch a few, then move directly across. At this point you will about three staples in the middle of each of the four sides.  Add a few more working out from the middle of the side, then go to the opposite side. Work your way around till it's all done. This way you are evenly distributing the pull on the fabric.


Hammer down the staples after your down to make them flush with the wood.

The hardest part of this was hammering the decorative nails. I should have done some research because they were a pain! I think I had to throw a few out. I even gave up on them. I got enough in to hold them back together. and that was good enough.




Furniture Feature Fridays

2 comments:

  1. Everything looks so lovely Liz! I really like the light over the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that set is adorable! love the fabric you used- it really livens it up!

    ReplyDelete